Buen Provecho – Patacones
For the last 50 years, organic and vegetarian nutrition is the basis of all SALEM projects worldwide.
We believe in a holistic, ecological way of life with a vegetarian and organic nutrition, natural medicine and nature protection using organic agriculture and permaculture methods.
In our recipe book “Buen Provecho” we present 12 delicious recipes so that you can prepare the typical kind of meals that are on our menu at the SALEM center day-to-day.
Recipe: Patacones (Fried Plantains)
Ingredients (for 5 people):
- 5 large plantains (one large plantain for each person)
- 1 1/4 cups of water
- 2 cloves of garlic (can vary to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- Oil for deep-frying
- Wash and peel the plantains and cut them into long strips. Usually, a plantain can be cut into 3 strips, as long as they are not too small.
- Bring the oil to boil and fry the banana strips about 5 minutes.
- Let the strips drain briefly, but do not let them cool too much. Squash the plantains with a flat, hard surface – like the bottom of a glass.
- Put plantains into water with garlic and salt. Peel the avocados and divide them into 4 pieces.
- After draining briefly, the plantains are fried again until they are crispy and golden on the outside.