Buen Provecho – Menestra de lentejas
Typical Ecuadorian basic dish with rice.
Recipe: Menestra de lentejas
Ingredients (serves 10):
- 500 g lentils
- ½ bell bell pepper
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 plantain
- 1 spoon butter
- 1 pinch of cumin
- ½ handful of coriander (cilandro) leaves Salt (to taste)
- The lentils are soaked in water overnight. The next day, the lentils are first boiled with about 1 liter of water for about 15 minutes in a pressure cooker.
- The bell pepper and leaf coriander (cilandro) are washed and chopped or minced and the onion is peeled and chopped. The plantain is also peeled and grated and the garlic is pressed.
- Then the peppers, onion, plantain and garlic are added to the stew.
- Then also add the cumin and butter and season with salt.
- Finally, the leaf coriander is mixed in.
Delicious when accompanied with Salsa de Ají
For the last 50 years, organic and vegetarian nutrition is the basis of all SALEM projects worldwide.
We believe in a holistic, ecological way of life with a vegetarian and organic nutrition, natural medicine and nature protection using organic agriculture and permaculture methods.
In our recipe book “Buen Provecho” we present 12 delicious recipes so that you can prepare the typical kind of meals that are on our menu at the SALEM center day-to-day.