Buen Provecho – Locro de Papa
A typical Ecuadorian potato stew served with boiled eggs and avocado.
Recipe: Locro de Papa
Ingredients (for 10 people):
- 250 g of cheese (feta cheese)
- 10 potatoes
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1⁄2 red onion
- 1⁄2 green bell bell pepper
- 1 leek
- 2 carrots
- 1 handful of fresh leaf coriander (cilantro)
- 3 avocados
- 5 eggs
- 1⁄2 liter milk
- Oil (a little for frying)
- First, wash and peel the potatoes and carrots. Bring salted water to a boil. While waiting for the water to boil, cut the potatoes and carrots into small pieces. When the water boils, the potatoes and carrots are added.
- The Andean potato stew, as the name suggests, comes from the Andean region of Ecuador and is a warming, energizing dish for cold days.
Next, the peppers and onion are washed and cut into small pieces and the garlic is pressed. The next step can be done in two different ways. Either the bell bell pepper, onion, pressed garlic are sautéed with a little oil and salt, or the bell bell pepper, onion, garlic and salt are mixed together with a little water using a blender. Then everything can be added to the stew and cooked for 30 minutes.
- 5 eggs are hard-boiled separately. The eggs should be in the boiling water for about 8 minutes.
- The avocados are each divided into 4 pieces and peeled.
- The hard-boiled eggs are peeled and quartered.
- After 30 minutes of cooking, the milk and cheese can also be added to the stew.
- The coriander (cilandro) leaves are washed, chopped and also added to the stew.
- The stew is now ready and can be served with avocado and eggs.
For 50 years, organic, whole-food vegetarian nutrition has been the foundation of all SALEM projects worldwide.
We believe in a holistic, ecological way of life with a vegetarian and organic diet, natural medicine and conservation through organic farming and permaculture methods.
In our recipe book – “Buen Provecho” we present 12 delicious recipes so that you can prepare and enjoy the kind of typical lunch that is on the menu every day in Mindo.